Windermere FL Homes For Sale
The settlement of Windermere began in the mid-1880s when Englishman Stanley Scott built his home in the area, giving it and the surrounding orange groves the name of Windermere. In memory of the Lake Windermere region of England. Other settlers followed, and a town site was platted in 1889, but the community was not formally incorporated until 1925.
The town council had no permanent meeting place. Elected officials and citizens often met at the Windermere Woman’s Club, which was destined to become Town Hall. The two-story wood frame clubhouse had been erected on the shore of nearby Lake Butler in 1922 and was moved to its present site in 1938 for use as a community center. It formally became the seat of local government in 1945. Today the square surrounding Town Hall is the focus of civic and recreational activity in Windermere.
Facilities founded there include the Chase Memorial Library, basketball courts, a municipal office building and the Cal Palmer Memorial Building, a small wood frame building constructed in 1911 by one of Windermere’s most prominent early residents. For a time the building served as both the town hall and the post office. Both Town Hall and the Call Palmer Building are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. This area of 110 acres of land situated between James Avenue on the north, Lamar Avenue to the south, Main Street to the west, and 5th Street to the east, was auctioned off and incorporated under the council-manager form of government.
Windermere school information from Orange County Schools
Dining, Shopping & Entertainment
Plenty of existing establishments with many more being added as parts of this area are growing each year, including the Cascades at Isleworth.
Thinking of Listing Your Home For Sale? Click Here For a FREE Home Valuation!